4/24 Steering Committee Notes
Submitted by: Kathleen Hatcher
Attendance: Lamar Graham, Janice Rook, Melody Smiley, Kathleen Hatcher
- Leak in pantry roof: Pam Jameson reports we are next in line for contractors to replace plastic liner and re-tar the roof.
- AC for pantry room: Pam would like to work with Speer Company who already has a contract with the church. John Oberlin did a great job collecting information. Bob Argo (Tri-Village Rotary) has offered to help with AC financing. Melody will get Bob’s contact information to Lamar.
- Eagle Scout Project: Repairing walls, painting, and installing a chair rail is scheduled in Annex Building hallway
- Lamar thanked Melody for her work in bartering food with other pantries.
- Friday, 5/3, is the annual Jones Middle Hunger Walk. Janice recommended that Lamar contact the church media department regarding publicity.
- Melody reported that a large ant infestation in the pantry seems under control. We may ask Pam Jameson to ask church maintenance or pesticide company to check pantry window seals.
- Melody noted the cardboard recycling overload is controlled as “overflow” is placed in the Heart to Heart van for Lamar to recycle.
- Lamar discussed 6/3 golf fund raiser with Tri-Village Rotary. The goal this year is to raise $10,000. Janice suggested publicizing this event to church members through the weekly insert in the worship bulletin as well as the “screen news” before worship services.
- Janice noted that many church members do not seem to be aware of Heart to Heart and perhaps other church mission work. as a new member of the older adult council she is hoping to encourage greater synergy between Heart to Heart and other missions and this group.
- Perhaps having an information table after services and offering short tours to small groups such as councils, guild groups, youth groups and others would increase awareness and volunteers.
- Lamar was contacted by a realtor’s group from the Tri-Village area interested in providing yard work as a service project. He hoped to offer this service as a thank you to Heart to Heart volunteers. However, all 3 volunteers in attendance strongly agreed and suggested that we ask this group to provide much needed clean up around our annex building, Lincoln Road Chapel, etc.
- Columbus Arts Festival is 6/8-6/9. Volunteers are needed to man our water/soda booth.
- Mark Tucker has stepped down from coordinating large pick ups of donations. Lamar hopes to find another volunteer for this important position.
- Kathleen expressed concern that our pantry volunteer “pool” seems smaller, at least as shown on Sign Up Genius listings. Lamar commented that we have some new volunteers, and that we expect more youth volunteers over summer months.
- Janice recommended revisiting our Old Business such as orientation, emergency contact information, list of “extra” pantry tasks for slower shopping days (kid center sort, clean up), clean refrigerators, wipe out bin, flatten plastic bags), and future goals for Heart to Heart. It was also recommended that ongoing initiatives/outstanding issues be tracked through the monthly minutes to help ensure completion and/or resolution.
- Kathleen requested a general breakdown of our budget: income and expenses. Lamar stated he would work on that.
NEXT MEETING: May 22, 12-1:30pm in the South Campus library
30 minutes next meeting for looking at where to find things